Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years Anti-Resolutions

I'm not a big fan of the New Year's Resolutions.
Frankly, I think they're a recipe for failure. Grand expectations and un-realistic timelines make for anxiety, not achievement.

You'll never catch me stating that I will "lose weight", "eat healthier" or "get rid of my debt" on the first day of the new year.
I firmly believe that personal development is done successfully in small steps and must be worked on all year. You don't need a new calendar year to make new goals.
And now I'm going to contradict myself a bit by sharing a few of my goals for the blog and for my personal life with you. The thing about these goals is that they're not really new goals. I have been thinking about these and working on them a little in the past year, but I am using this new start (the new year) to reinforce and remind myself about them. Personal growth is always part of my MO, so I like to use any excuse to get excited about the goals I've got in my back pocket…and the New Year is a great excuse.

Writing down goals is a great way to solidify them for yourself. source


In no particular order. Here are my current blogging goals (notice how I didn't say "for 2014"):
  • keep up with the Link Love series. I'm enjoying this series so far and I think you folks are too. I'd like to make it a staple around here. 
  • share more of my collection with you in my Show and Tell series. I've fallen off the band wagon a bit on that one and I enjoy those posts.
  • don't worry so much about taking a million photos for a post. It's ok to take a couple close ups, post one or two pics and say hello occasionally. 
  • keep working on planning ahead when it comes to posts so I can keep posting regularly. I believe one of my goals for the blog for 2013 was along this line and I think I had some success in that department last year, but I would like to continue focussing on it to make my blog better. 
Overall, I'm working on posting more and keeping up with the things that I've started 'round these parts. 



And my personal goals:
  • Get rid of things we/I don't need/use. I did a lot of purging last summer and it felt great. I want to do much more this year. 
  • And further to that. I'd like to follow the William Morris quote: 'Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful'. I only want useful, beautiful things in my world. 
  • Keep working on our house. We are far from even painting every room on the main floor, but we plan to live in our house for a long time and I'm not keen on rushing any decorating or renovating decisions. I would, however, like to keep plugging away at making our home ours.
  • Shop less - Shop my closet more. I have a huge wardrobe filled with many wonderful things. I certainly have a small list of voids in my wardrobe that need to be filled, but I'd like to stop shopping for shoppings sake. Use that money for savings or put it towards the house. 
These days life is all about cutting away the excess, surrounding myself with beautiful things and loving the things I do have. 



Have you made any New Year's Resolutions? Anti-Resolutions? 



Lisa.xo


4 comments:

  1. I like your use of the word. 'reinforcement'. I think that really sums up the purpose of the New Year Resolution. It's a time to reassess and recommit. Good luck with this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I sound like we're on the same page here. I think that goals and change should happen throughout the year. Not just once a year. In fact, New Year's resolutions have been off my radar for so long I didn't even tackle the subject and my feelings toward them in my New Year's post!

    Happy New Year!
    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart choices for the new year. And, looking through your past posts, I see your blog already has wit and style. Nice outfits and charming prose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is cool how we both kicked off our New Year's/2014 goal related posts on such a similar note and that our mindsets when it comes to such topics are so similar. These are some really great, realistic plans that you've got in the works. So true about shopping one's own closet. I was reminded of the fun and importance of that when packing for Calgary last year (as I created and tried on all the outfits I brought before the were slipped into the suitcase and it reminded me that I could come up with new looks I'd yet to wear before quite easily without having to purchase anything new for the time being).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear feedback from readers!

Check back or sign up for follow up comments! I do my best to answer all of your comments and questions right here!

Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa.xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...